The keep we can see today was built in 1340; it is 21 m high and square in shape, measuring 5.75 m on each side. It stands on the foundations of a pentagonal tower which were uncovered during an excavation in the early 1990s: the whole area was carefully restored between 1994 and 1996. It was the base of a tower built around 1220 by Marquis Azzo VII of Este. Access was via the first floor on the north side, and involved climbing a ladder. This pentagonal tower, which had walls 2.55 m thick and which stood much higher than the current tower, was probably the only tower spared in the subsequent devastating siege of the town by Ezzelino III da Romano in 1249. The keep is open to visitors, free of charge, on the first or second Sunday of the month (alternating with the Soccorso fortress).
Stay in Touch With Us!
Would you like to keep in touch with us and be the first to find out about news from the Euganean Hills and Spas? Sign up for our newsletter and start taking care of yourself: click the button below and complete the form. We will be in touch soon with news, updates, revitalising offers and much more besides!